PRESENTED BY NYSDA
"Avoid the Million Dollar Mistake - HIPAA Security Compliance: Protecting Your Patients, Your Practice, And Yourself"
Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Nassau County Dental Society Headquarters
377 Oak Street
Garden City, NY 11530
7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Presenter: Bijan Anvar, DDS
HIPAA Security Compliance
The course explains the specific requirements associated with safeguarding, storing and transmitting electronically maintained information to protect dentists from potential prosecution and sanctions. The goal is to educate the dental team in a common sense, step-by-step way on how to comply with these complex regulations and avoid punitive sanctions. Course attendees will be able to:
- Securely store, protect, share and transmit electronic health information
- Comply with current federal HIPAA security regulations
- Implement strategies to reduce the risks associated with audits, financial penalties and censure
The course includes:
- A step-by-step, practical guide to HIPAA security compliance
- Answers to frequently asked questions about the maintenance and transmission of protected patient information, including:
- What specifically is required?
- Who needs a password? How do you design a safe password?
- Should patients have access to the dental office's Wi-Fi?
- What is encryption? Is it required?
- Can x-rays be transmitted via email? To patients? To other doctors?
- Is there a cost associated with secure communication?
- How can a dental practice protect itself from a security breach? What must a practice do if its computers are breached?
- Are dental laboratories and cleaning services required to sign Business Associate Agreements?
NYSDA/ADA Member Dentist $175
Auxiliary Staff (Per Person) $55
Non-Member Dentist $275
Registration Deadline: October 19, 2018
Refund Deadline: October 10, 2018
- All requests for refunds or credits must be made in writing or by phone and received at least ten business days prior to the course date. A full refund, less a ten dollar ($10) administrative charge, will be issued. Refunds or credits requested after this date will not be granted, including requests made based on absence due to illness, late arrival for courses and/or weather conditions. In the event that a course is cancelled by NYSDA, paid tuition will be fully refunded.
- Continuing education credit can and will only be issued to registrants who attend the entire presentation. Registrants MUST check-in prior to the start of the course for credit to be issued. A record of your attendance is maintained by the NYSDA Continuing Education Registry. Evidence of your attendance for other organizations can also be provided upon request.
- If you have special needs in order to fully participate, please contact the Nassau County Dental Society at 516-227-1112.
HIPAA COURSE REGISTRATION.10.24.18.docx
Sponsors To Date
The most significant benefit is that each dental practice attending will receive the NYSDA HIPAA Security Regulation Compliance Manual and step-by-step guidance for completing the necessary forms and checklists contained within the Manual. Because the HIPAA security regulations include staff training requirements, dentists are encouraged to bring a member of their office team to the course. Registration is limited; register early to ensure your attendance. There will be no on-site registration for this course.
The New York State Dental Association is an ADA CERP recognized provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, not does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
The views expressed by program clinicians do not represent the views or reflect an endorsement or approval by the New York State Dental Association. Unless explicitly stated, featured clinicians do not possess any financial interests of affiliations that could pose a conflict of interest to the program.